[Dailydrool] Gender Issues

Elsamarie5 at cs.com Elsamarie5 at cs.com
Sat Jan 7 21:37:54 PST 2012

Hi Kimberly,
Enjoyed your post. I was always a single dog person until a few years ago,
now I can't imagine living with just 1 dog. In my experience I have to agree
with your hubby. A male and female seem to bond better, one takes the lead
(freq. it's the female) and the other submits enough to keep peace. It also
seems to make a difference which dog is new and whether it is a puppy or
not. My min. doxie was 6yo when I brought in the male basset as a 3 mt old
puppy and she set him straight right from the get go. She grabbed his ears and
bit him, treated him awful, but I stayed out of it and she eventually came
around. He has let her be the boss every since, even now that he is 65lbs. and
towers over her, guess he thinks he's still that little puppy. LOL
I've had multiple females but it can be tricky, one has to submit to the
other and if you get 2 dominant bitches, you will have problems. I did have 3
females at one time and it was ok until the 3rd one turned out to be
dominant and at about 2 years old, she started challenging the older but smaller
diva. I finally had to get rid of the 3rd dog as she would not give up trying
to challenge the others, I couldn't trust her when I was gone.
I'm like you though, I marvel at how so many people have multiple dogs that
seem to get along fine, but I notice they will occasionally mention
growling, bared teeth or the need to separate them at mealtime, etc., maybe their
definition of fine is different from mine, or maybe they have a secret they
don't share with us novices. It may be too that with larger groups of dogs,
they tend to partner with others and make a sort of sub-pack agreement among
themselves, who really knows???
Either way, if you have just 2 dogs, it might work out, one may bond more
with you and the other with your hubby.
Please keep us posted so we can all learn along with you. It will be
interesting to hear what others have to say about their experiences.
Tail wags and thumbs up from Judy, Archie (hen-pecked Basset) and Elsa
(Doxie Diva) in Fresno

</HTML>