[Dailydrool] Basset-loving Husbands

Veronica Woodruff bassetgrrl at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 11 11:59:00 PST 2012

I may be a little late on this thread but I'll chime in regardless, if that's all right.

I found my Basset-loving fiance on eHarmony.  Although it was a few years ago, I can still remember that under the heading, "I'm passionate about. . ." I mentioned "Bassets/Bloodhounds."  Even with that, though, I still had men interested in me who believed that dogs should be kept outside 24/7 and men who also despised any and all breeds of dogs.  Go figure.  Could they not *read*?

Paul and his late wife had had two dogs during their forty-year marriage:  One Airedale and one Welsh, each purchased as pups.  We now have two Bassets, Flash and Wilma, a bonded pair adopted at the age of almost-nine.  Neither Flash nor Wilma is very bright (as someone else on the Drool said about her dog, they "have a very limited skill set," LOL), are independent and, in general, loaded with Bassetude.  Paul doesn't feel that Bassets are in the same realm of terriers (thank God for *that,* I say!) but loves it when they jump on him the moment he comes through the door.  They make him laugh and he cuddles them, pays for their vet bills, harnesses and food.  He clips their nails like a pro.  He also know that when they leave this realm, I will *always* have to have a rescued Basset (although rescues are really hard to find up here).

What moved his liking of them to love was when we took care of his relatives' Yorkie for 16 days just before Christmas.  The leaping (jumpjumpjumpjump), the barking (arfarfarfarf), the peeing absolutely *everywhere,* the aggression towards other dogs--really, that dog made ours seem like they were wearing haloes.

Up until me, too, Paul had always *loathed* cats.  But I came with Roxy (try driving eleven hundred miles with a cat in your arms.  If we survived *that,* we can survive *anything,* LOL) so what was he gonna do?  He adored Roxy immediately and, a few months later, arrived home one day with Rambo, seven pounds of feline fun.  "He wasn't in a good situation," said Paul.

So Basset-loving men are definitely out there, even if they might not realize it, yet.  And if anyone is thinking of giving eHarmony a whirl, I'd be more than happy to help you out with the whole bleepin' process.

Veronica Woodruff

(Stillwater Lake, Nova Scotia)