[Dailydrool] Dog coat pattern

Pamela McQuade bassetizedslave at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 14 15:13:15 PST 2012

Poor little Dexter just shivers outside in the cold, even though we've put some pounds on him and he's looking pretty good. So I decided that I needed to get a dog coat for him. I'm not really the sort who puts a lot of clothes on dogs, but this is a health-related issue, so I don't have a problem with it. Besides, Dex seems comfortable having me put sweaters on him when it's a bit cold, so I don't think he'll mind a jacket. Those sweaters don't quite do the job when it's freezing or less.

I discovered that I'm really funny about dog coats. I'm not sure a dog coat needs a collar. It certainly doesn't, in my estimation, need a hood. How silly would a basset look with the hood up? That knocks out almost all the dog coats out there, once you've also dumped the ones that are too small, not long enough, and so on. And if I bought a coat, how would I be sure it would fit?

Alas, I am afraid Dex is going to have to put up with me making him a coat. So I looked online and in the only fabric store I've been able to find in our area. Again, patterns for silly haute couture coats, when I want a simply practical one that will keep my little guy toasty.

After much searching online, I finally came up with something that may do:

http://www.finedivingchicago.com/?p=1525

I don't think I will recycle a human coat to make this. But it should be easy enough to put a couple of fabrics together. It shouldn't even take much fabric, if I buy bias binding tape.

I may need to adjust the pattern a bit, 'cause Dex is only about 42 pounds, but even doing alterations doesn't look too hard for an experienced seamstress like myself.

I thought I'd share this pattern, because trying to get things that fit a basset is so hard. It may take me a while to get things together and make it, but if I succeed, I will try to report back on my experience making it. Since Dex gets cold so easily, I think this is moving to the top of my list of things to sew.
Pam, food slave and seamstress to the Dashing Bassets