[Dailydrool] Basset Loving Husbands

Gwen Dossey pengwen65 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 10 05:00:21 PST 2012

Tim is right - they are out there!  And I just happen to have me one!! :-)  Shawn is the reason that we got our first basset!  And he is SUCH a softy when it comes to our girls!!  They have him totally wrapped around thier little paws (not that I'm much better, but...

When Sadie Jean came to live with us, we were told she was 5 years old (later learned she was 9!!).  Teddi was 14 months old and Casper was only 6 months old and Shawn thought that we might have made a rash decision since she was SO much older than the pups!  However, Sadie Jean got up on the couch next to him, put her head on his chest and looked up into his face and he was hooked!!  He told her right then that she could stay!!

It happened again when we took in Madden a month after Sadie Jean passed away.  She was only supposed to stay for a week at the most while GGBR found a foster home for her.  She was there for an hour and he told her she could stay if she wanted, and he proceeded to change her name (it was Kahlua)!!

It's been nearly 11 months since Casper went to the bridge, and he still mourns her loss VERY deeply!!  I've seen him talking to her ashes when he thinks I'm not around!  It brings a tear to my eye - the big softie!

When the rescue called to see if I could pick up an 8-week old female, we had been looking for a puppy!  The breeder we were looking into had a female that didn't get pregnant like we had hoped, so it was perfect timing when Sasha came along.  As soon as he took one look at that gorgeous face, she was ours and not going anywhere!!  That was the quickest foster failure in history!!

So, beleive it or not - they are out there!!  I've met a couple that have been converted, too, so don't give up looking!! :-)

~Gwen - Slave to Tatum (ATB), Teddi, Casper (ATB), Sadie Jean (ATB), Madden and Sasha~ (:>