[Dailydrool] Drool for Dexter, please

dpmcquade at verizon.net dpmcquade at verizon.net
Fri Jul 13 12:07:01 PDT 2012

I was hoping that if I just held off on posting for a day or two, I'd have good news. But things just don't seem to be that way for us just now. Dexter is back in the vet's, because his eye got all infected. This morning his eye area looked rather swollen, as did the jaw area and his loose lips. Sigh.

I called the vet's, and they told me to bring him in right away. I did. They wanted to keep him for a while, put ice packs on the eye, give him some shots, and watch him. After noon, I came to pick him up, and the vet told me he had an abcess and needed to stay with them until Monday while they put in a drain to get rid of the infection and spritz a saline solution into the eye to try to stop the infection in its tracks. He's also on a second antibiotic and has a fentanyl patch for the pain that has been hounding him since before the eye came out.

I am pooped, and I don't even have my pup. He went off to his cage again quite happily, so I can only figure that either he was in a lot of pain and knew they were the ones to help him or he's given up entirely on me as a caregiver. I know it's not my fault, but I feel as if it is. The first time something major goes wrong, and he can't even rely on me. I am a bad slave.

Please sling drool in Dexter's direction. We are hoping they will not have to do a second surgery to remove some of the clips that are in his eye, holding things in place until it heals.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets