[Dailydrool] Bassets, Fruit, other breeds

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 05:31:43 PDT 2012

Nigel and Conley love fruit and veggies and had a huge fight (if you can
imagine a down-in-the-rear dog fighting) over a piece of lettuce that fell
between them the other day. (Also never think a paralyzed dog cannot launch
himself about three feet as you drag the other dog away. Haha! SURPRISE!
Says Nigel.)
Llewis doesn't like lettuce but likes fruits a lot and Conley likes
asparagus but the other two will pass. I am wondering as I read the Drool
if this diverse food selection is a Basset thing because they can smell so
much better than other dogs, or if it is a generalized dog thing.
Cooper would have starved before he ate lettuce or asparagus or even
apples. I did know a Samoyed who was an obedience competition dog and
worked for radishes.
Cooper would have thrown himself under a truck before eating a radish, but
I know the Bassets would at least try it.
Of course Cooper was a bit of a snork (a combination snob and dork) in his
own way, but the Basset approach to fruits and veggies (fresh and clean and
from a slave, not out of the neighbor's garbage) seems healthier to me.

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis and Conley