[Dailydrool] Heartworm Meds

Ursula Kramer rodurs at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 18 19:45:52 PDT 2012

This is my two cents worth and everyone has their own experience but I will stick with Heartguard. When Revolution first came out a number of years ago we thought great this will keep those pesky fleas away and prevent heartworm infection. We applied it to both our hounds at the time and our female started screaming almost immediately (if you have never heard a Basset scream hope you never do, it is heart wrenching). We threw her into the bathtub and began rinsing it off and called our vet. He had us bring her right over and they also rinsed the area we had applied it. Our vet contacted the company that made it and was told that some dogs are sensitive to it but especially dogs in the hound group. Our girl had what looked like chemical burns between her shoulders where it was applied and lost the fur in that area (some of it grew back eventually to help hide the scar marks), our male had no problems. Each dog is different, each experience is
 different but I will stick to what I am comfortable with, the memory of that frightening experience (nightmare) will always be with me.

Your Friend in Bassets,
Ursula