[Dailydrool] prosthetic eye?

Kathie Goblirsch Bookwyrm at comcast.net
Thu Jul 19 13:33:55 PDT 2012

Quite a few years ago, the then-current basset lost an eye to glaucoma
caused by a previous injury.  On the recommendation of the vet, we had
the eye removed and sewn shut. No problem, he just went around looking
like a pirate for the rest of his life.
Now our Gabby was diagnosed with glaucoma in both eyes over 2 years
ago.  We saved one eye, but the other couldn't be saved. This time we
opted to go with the prosthetic eye. She does need drops in that eye
several times a day -- but since we have to do drops in the other eye
also several times a day to stave off the glaucoma returning, it's no
big deal. I've never had someone come up to Gabby and recognize at a
glance that one of her eyes is 'false' -- you have to look closely and
see that it seems a little 'cloudy' to notice the difference. It moves
and tracks just like her good eye.
That's our experience.

Kathie G