[Dailydrool] Snoopy and the funeral

Mr Shannon R Gerdel bassethoundbutler at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 20:27:49 PDT 2012

Dale,

Your story about Snoopy and the funeral reminded me of a
similar situation with Boomer. When my health started to decline, it
started with a pulmonary embolism. Boomer was still under a year old, I
think that he was 6 or 76 months old. On the second day of
my hospitalization, my nurse asked me what was wrong. I told her that I
really missed my Basset Hound. She asked me if all of Boomer's shots were
up to date. I said that they were. She said that I could have my ex wife
and her daughter bring him up to see me.

I immediately had the3m bring Boomer up to the Heart floor, where they have
everyone on monitors. Many of the other patients found out that there was a
dog there, and asked if this silly looking Basset Hound, with his big puppy
feet, and long ears, could come see them as well. Of course he could. At
almost the end of the room to room visit from my Boo-man, a woman walked
into my room in tears. My first thought was "dang it, that Boomer, what did
he do to someone??...."

As the elderly woman spoke, we all joined her in her tears. Her husband had
been in the hospitol on and off for a long time, and this stay on the
cardiac unit had been several months, or weeks...anyway, a long time. She
came over to my room to thank me. She kept crying and trying to speak. She
said that her husband had not smiled in months, due to the nightmare of
being chronically, and critically sometimes, very ill. However, when the
'life support system for a set of ears' walked in, and went over to her
husband, and gave him a kiss, the husband smiled and laughed.

She simply wanted to say thank you. That is all she wanted. I never really
realized the power of an animal in my life until Boomer. Never
underestimate the ability of especially a Basset, in my humble opinion, to
bring a smile, or shange someones mood. I had at first thought that I might
have Boo trained to be a visitor, but my health wouldn't allow me to do so.
I was told that the last place for a sick person to be was a hospital,
unless I was a patient.

Happy birthday to the grewsome toosome, of Nigel and Lewis. I have been
away in the mountains near Steamboat since last Friday, just catching up.
Drool to those in need... The people that allowed me to stay with them over
the last four days lost their 14 year old poodle, please send some soothing
drool to Oak Creek, CO.

Thank you all, for you all also help me heala, live, grow, and go on!

Houndie Hugs and Snooter Kisses frum da Caspaw Cwew! Yours in Dwool,

Babe
Boomer
Arnie ATB
Butler Shannon-DDOD (Dat dum ol dad; an absowute total, compwete BassetCase)

Mr. Shannon R Gerdel
3583 Meadowlark Drive
Casper WY 82604
Home: (307) 337-2144