[Dailydrool] Loss of a soulmate

dpmcquade at verizon.net dpmcquade at verizon.net
Wed Jul 25 12:09:58 PDT 2012

Judy:
In my experience, it's not always easy to tell if a hound is missing another dog. When our Jane lost her best buddy, Belvedere, she didn't seem outwardly all that put out. But I think she felt it more than we knew. Of course she was very old when he died, and we had fosters Holly and then Dexter to keep her company, so she was not alone. Her last days were happy ones.

I think bringing a new dog into the pack will help a hound who enjoys the company of other dogs. If Jane had been on her own, she probably would have pined and left us earlier. Does Archie enjoy having other dogs around him? If he's a pack animal, he will probably enjoy it if you take in another dog.

If you are doubtful about bringing a new dog into the pack, why not try fostering with the idea that you will adopt, if the relationships work out. Tell the rescue what you plan to do up front, and they can match you with a dog who could make you and Archie happy. If Archie isn't happy with it, you will have helped a dog who needed a short-term home, and it can move on to a forever home.

I always wait a few weeks before bringing in the new foster. It allows me time to decompress. And if I am going to keep the new hound, I need to make sure I will not feel resentful that the other dog is "taking the place" of the one I've lost. Allowing a bit of time between them helps me do this. But I know others on the Drool have successfully brought in a new hound immediately with no trouble at all. I think it's how you feel that matters. If your home feels terribly empty and you can't bear it, you may choose to add a new dog right away.

Even if the new dog isn't a soulmate, Archie may enjoy the company. None of my dogs have objected to a new dog, because I introduce them carefully when the new dog comes in. Let the old dog greet the new one on neutral territory (my front yard does just fine). When things are going well, let the new one into the house. It will take a few weeks for the two dogs to iron out who's in charge. During this time they may do what I call "jousting." They will make a lot of noise and seem to fight, but no one will do serious damage. This is their way of settling the pack order. Support the dog that is coming out as the pack leader, and all will fall into place. Some dogs, like my Dexter, are just happier being at the bottom of the pack. As long as they are loved by their humans, they are happy. We had a dog we were transporting come here for less than an hour, and it was apparent that if she had stayed, she would have taken the middle place in the pack. Dex would never contest it. Any place is good in the pack, if the dog is happy there.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets, who have seen many dogs come and go