[Dailydrool] Please Vote & this and that

Jane Hay janewhay at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 06:43:00 PDT 2012

Utah Friends of Basset Hounds is back in first place on the Shelter
Challenge! Only by a hair though, so keep voting every day so they can win
that prize!

We have had a number of workers at the house lately trying to keep our old
house in decent shape. The Houndettes just love all these guys and would
love to assist them in their work. All I can say is thank goodness for baby
gates! The guys have been terrific with the hounds though. They usually
come in and head for the Houndettes first before they do anything and then
start their work. One of the guys has a bloodhound at home and is in love
with all things houndy. I think the workers have found out that the four
hounds are going to hoot and holler until the guys give them a rub or two
so there might be a little self preservation going on too!

Barbie, I think that I would leave your dog's nose alone. You could do a
tremendous amount of damage about the time she jerks while you're messing
around with a Q-tip or create an even worse problem if some of the cotton
fibers break loose and lodge in her sinuses so, if you feel like something
really needs to be done, go to your vet.

I've been doing the adoption coordination for BaRCSE for the past few
months and am having so much fun! What a cool job this is! It's kind of
like match making, trying to make sure the right person ends up with the
right hound. I tell all our prospective adopters that, if you aren't
convinced the hound is the one within that first week, give him/her back to
us and the right one will come along. So far I haven't had a return but I
think it's probably just dumb luck. Actually, our foster families are so
good with their foster hounds and are spot on with their assessment of
each one that it's been easy to place the right hound with the right
person. I've personally had a couple of my foster hounds come back to me in
the past. One of our foster dogs didn't even last in the potential adopters
home for twelve hours because he drooled! Imagine that! I don't think the
family had done their homework when they thought they wanted to adopt a
basset! I warned them that Ace drooled but I guess it didn't sink in. Well
anyway, the match making part of rescue is really the fun part if you ask
me!

The Houndettes are slinging get well and heart healing drool to all in
need. Dear Elder Clara, please close the bridge gates for a while. There
have been so many sad posts lately! We're never able to keep our beloved
hounds with us long enough but too many have moved on to their next great
adventure in the past few weeks.

Jane & the Houndettes
Jersey, Shadow, Suzy & Ginger