[Dailydrool] Kidney diet

Riche Churchill buglr at blomand.net
Tue Jun 12 21:18:22 PDT 2012

Our number 1 dog, and also the oldest (14) seemed a little off so was
taken to vet. Bloodwork shows elevated kidney results. Not astronomical,
but up. We ended up with an 8-lb. bag of Science Diet K-D kibble and 2
cans of K-D that cost more than a month's worth of food for 11 dogs.
There has got to be an alternative. No matter how well-loved, and she
is, there's no way we can afford that -- which is, at best, a 2-week
supply for one dog -- meanwhile feeding 10 others adequately.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to other kibbles? I have several
recipes for "make your own Science Diet food" but none of them are for
kidneys that are (maybe) starting to fail, or at least slow down.
Reading the K-D bag, I can't really tell what is being avoided. Is it
salt? Too much protein? What?

Riche (old age sucks)