[Dailydrool] Giving treats & voting

Jane Hay janewhay at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 05:15:50 PDT 2012

Our Ginger is a grabby girl when it comes to treats, plus she is extremely
food aggressive. I know you're supposed to give treat with your hand flat
but my grandchildren don't know that so we have worked with her a lot.
She MUST sit for a treat. I always say gently and, if she grabs for it, she
doesn't get it. I say gently again and we did this over and over until she
got it. We have finally gotten so that she can sit with the other hounds
and get treats when they do but I am always on my toes just in case she
gets over anxious. And, because of her aggression and her dominant
personality, she is always last to get a treat. It's taken a long time but
we're actually pretty relaxed now when we hand out goodies but it wasn't
always that way. We can't play the game of trying to get the Houndettes to
catch a treat at all. Having everyone diving for a treat with a food
aggressive hound in the house is just asking for a dog fight here so we
aren't able to play with food like that. I keep thinking that Ginger will
mellow as she gets older but it sure hasn't happened yet!

I'll vote for whatever rescue we decide on. I'd love to see Chris Bly's
rescue win the Challenge. Chris has been instrumental in keeping all of us
on the DD on track with reminders of when the voting starts and being our
DD point person to take people's nominations for who to vote for. But I'm
glad to vote for whoever just as long as a basset hound rescue wins the
prize. Keep voting for Utah Friends of Basset Hounds. They are only half a
point ahead of the second place contender so we all have to keep voting
every day. I think we only have a week or so left.

The Houndettes are sending heart healing and get well drool to all in need.

Jane & the Houndettes
Jersey, Shadow, Suzy & Ginger