[Dailydrool] Elder Clara, please lend a paw

Sally King sallyemking at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jun 17 12:56:48 PDT 2012

Three weeks ago I took a call from a woman who needed to rehome an 11-year-old basset. Before everyone gets angry, I have to point out they didn't want to get rid of him.

Ollie is a beautiful, solid, wrinkly, loved boy. His dad died two years ago and his elderly relatives have been keeping him 'in the style to which he had become accustomed'. One of them had even moved into 'Ollie's' house to help him over his bereavement.

However, they realised Ollie was becoming too much for the old man to cope with, so they thought it would be best for Ollie to find a new home. First they called a national all breed centre, who Ollie's dad had donated to throughout his life. This centre's motto is 'no healthy dog is ever destroyed', but as Ollie had not been willed to them, they were not interested in helping. I might add, that at 11 Ollie seems more like an eight-year-old.

I was very worried we would not find anyone willing to take this senior boy. Even my area co-ordinator wondered aloud if it was "really kind" to rehome a dog of his age. I was stout in his defence. I knew what Elder Clara would have said about that, and I hoped she would help - bit of guidance from above, as it were.

Long story short, today I have come back from a 150mile round trip, dropping him off at his new home. His new owner is also elderly, but very determined and has owned bassets all her life. He marched into her house, inspected every room, peed on her floor and licked her face.

So, if I could please ask for some drool to help this old dog settle into his new home and help this lady enjoy her new friend for many years, Younger Clara and I would be most grateful.

Sally, with Rolph and Clara, UK