[Dailydrool] Eye Problems

Nancy nancykay9 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 15:05:17 PDT 2012

Pam,

Thanks for your note and you concern about Tina's eye problems. To put your mind at ease, Tina comes from an excellent breeder who had her screened (checked her ocular angles) for likelihood of passing on glaucoma well before deciding to breed Tina (she had two litters before she "retired" -- several pups have gone on to become champions.)

When she had the uveitis about a year ago, the symptom that clued us in was that her third eyelid came up over her right eye. We took her immediately to the Emergency Vet  (it happened on a Sunday morning, of course). They had a tonometer, and given her symptoms, diagnosed the uveitis, which we treated "aggressively" (the vet's words), with 2 eye meds every 4 hours, day and night, for a week. Our own vet followed up, and they and Tina's breeder all agreed with the diagnosis.

Having said all that, I totally agree with you. If your basset has eye problems, and you don't know 100 percent what's wrong, get the houndie to a canine ophthalmologist! Glaucoma can run in the breed, and it can be dealt with if you catch it early enough.

Nancy, owned by Frank the Tank and Tina-Weena