[Dailydrool] Ears and Ears and Ears oh my!

basset911 at aol.com basset911 at aol.com
Fri Jun 22 00:51:35 PDT 2012

It is not often these days I get to read the drool in a timely fashion, for some reasons this week despite craziness, I've been able to keep up a bit.
Loving the Blue Pow(d)er Ear Treatment thread.

When I was a kid (yes, we also chiseled on tablets) and great granddad was cleaning all the houndages ears, we would draw straws over who had to paint the blue stuff in.  G'ma always got the kit and we had paint brushes and would sit out on the lawn and paint away.  Decades later, after spending a nickzillion dollars on ottomax and flushes the blue.html site was a gift from heaven in cleaning billions of bassets ears.  We alternate and keep the witch hazel as well as alcohol base, in that manner we have both available.

Last year we had super treat, a holistic vet from Alaska came and donated a day - and one of her tricks was this....
Using scrubbing iodine she fills the ear canal and scrubs away with her fingers.
Using warm water (and those who know me must realize my hair stood on end at this juncture - ) she flushes it out. We use a shower massage head.
Rolling a paper towel tightly like a straw, she then wicks the water out of the ear - as much as she can get
Blue Pow(der) treatment finale. (which calmed me down on the water flush).

The conversation we had was pretty simple and we've been using this treatment in the super icky ears - pseudomonas cases etc and it WORKS like no ones business!
She asked how we treat ears and I shared the blue pow(der) info, both with witch hazel as well as alcohol.
Her comment was that yes, too many vets use water based products on ears which compounds the issues and of course ear infections usually do not clear with ottomax or common drops anymore.
Then she dropped the BOMB:  "What can live in salt? I like to use Iodine"
Duh Moment.

Thank doG for Booster Baths!!  If you think cleaning with blue pow(der) is a yucky job, add on the Iodine scrubbing technique!
I must tell you - we have NOT had to deal with chronic ear problems for many years now unless a hound comes in with one.
Then again we stay off of corn & wheat, maintain regular grooming practices and have monthly bath days.....
And yes, at the end of any day we do chisel off dog goop around these parts!

Dawn of the West
Basset Rescue Network at Daphneyland
www.daphneyland.com
www.facebook.com/daphneyland
661 269-2682

July 21, 2012 - Celebrate with us our 10th Anniversary at Daphneyland!!!