[Dailydrool] Hariballs and such...suggestions?

Thomas Woodward gravemast at aol.com
Tue Mar 6 16:17:42 PST 2012

Hi Gang,

Been awhile since ive posted.  The Bay (St. Louis) Bassets are doing
OK.  But I did have a little issue that I was hoping someone might be
able to help with.

Annabelle, my 7 year old girl, has had these snuffling fits since we
have had her.  It has only happened a few times, and it was like 6
months in between each time.  She will act odd, and start snuffling
around the floor.  As she is doing this, she will snuffle up large
amounts of hair, paper, and anything else she can put her snout on.
This might last like 30 minutes or so, max is an hour.  Then she will
sit down, look real sick, and barf up a completely impressive hairball.
  At this point she looks rather pleased with herself, and she goes back
to her normal routine.  But today, we had an incident with this.  My
significant other came home and found a large back dress sock covered
in doggy spit-up and a hairball.  Annabelle looked fine, but she always
does after the fact.  We dont even know where she got the dress sock
at.  She obviously snuffled it up and barfed it out with the hairball.
My major concern is that she will either choke on whatever she snuffles
up or swallow something that wont come back up and it will cause a
blockage.

So, I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with this kind of
thing?  Do you know what might cause it?  What to do to prevent it?  Or
even why she does it in the first place?  I would greatly appreciate
any info or suggestions.

Thanks,

Tom
Slave to Harley, Annabelle (the mighty snuffler), Sidney (Crosby), and
Calypso (ATB)