[Dailydrool] Advice Requested

kristin.mielke at videotron.ca kristin.mielke at videotron.ca
Thu Mar 8 08:05:41 PST 2012

Hi Everyone..it's been awhile.  After 9 years Hushy went to the bridge about 2 months ago.  He had ruptured 2 discs. We had him operated on.  But shortly after the succesful surgey he developed a large cancerous growth and his body just could not fight it.  He went peacefully in my arms.  It was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. Hushy was my heart dog, but he had so very many problems.  Bad back, bad leg, allergies, Horners Syndrome, food intolerance, 2 bloat episodes,the list goes on and on. I know most of these problems were a result of bad breeding, bone structure, possibly the gastric issues, and perhaps the Horners.
Despite all this we decided that we wanted another Basset.  Although I had planned to do rescue, I just could not face the prospect of another round with a poorely bred dog.  So we decided to go with a reputable breeder.  I will continue to support Rescue financially, and I promise our next basset will be rescue.  I just could not do it so soon!  I checked the breeder out with the AKC and the CKC and all is fine.  We are expecting to bring our puppy home mid April.. I can't wait.
I do have some questions for all you experts out there on the Drool!
1)The breeder feeds Purina Pro Plan..is this an okay food? Hushy had so many allergies that I was cooking him his food for the last 5 years.  We tried so many high grade foods: Blue, Nutro, raw diet..none of it worked. I am concerned about the quality of the Pro Plan, but the breeder says she has never had any problems, and has always fed this.  Am I being silly about this?  If not, is it a good idea to change the food when we bring the puppy home? This scares me too...I don't want to provoke any gastric issues.
2) I have disinfected the house, thrown all the toys, dog beds etc out, just in case there maybe some germs remaining from the vets (Hushy's last month was just a series of trips back and forth from the vets. ) I have decided that before puppies second round of shots I am not going to let him go anywhere except the house and the yard.  I want to avoid contact with any potencial hazards.  Do you think I am being paranoid here?  Hushy developed a bad case of Kennel caugh, that spiraled into pneumonia when he barfed and inhaled the vomit. ( Sorry for being graphic)
I just want to give this little guy the best shot at a healthy life. Your advice is welcome.
Thanks

Kris (Waiting impatiently for my Basset baby)