[Dailydrool] Gastric issues

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 11:41:02 PDT 2012

Mmm. Lessee dis be Nigel. I tryna meke dis a Basset fing but the dog wif
the prollem kinder a big basset wif long hair and all black wif pointy eers
but we preten he a Basset enyways for dis email only.
I gone gib dis to MomPerson:

One of my dogs currently has what has been diagnosed as Proliferative
Gastritis with blah blah blah blah hypertrophy and hyperplasia. In other
words he empties just fine only it is the wrong way, and he lost a TON of
weight and I honestly thought he would starve to death in front of me
before we could get a handle on it.
He gets Sucralfate, liquified (he has an additional problem with the
pyloric valves and this makes SURE he gets it) Reglan, Pred, Pepscid. Yes
and as another Drooler mentioned, all at different times.
When he has an "episode" I immeditely put him on Cerenia for a few days.
Part of his problem is the damage the acid has done when he was vomiting
all the time. So we try to keep the upchucks to an absolute minimum. (I
cannot imagine anyone NOT doing that. Especially when they throw  up just
as you are sitting down at the table to eat your dinner, lunch or
breakfast...)
He eats 3 small ground up meals a day. I would feed him a thousand times a
day if I thought it would help. My Vet did suggest 8 meals a day to start
with--just handfuls.
He has to have his food run through the food processor. Currently he eats
chicken and beef and a multi-vitamin. He is an expensive boy. He also
cannot hold much food at a time. But he has stopped puking and is happy and
as active as one would expect of an 11 yr old with 3 legs and proliferative
gastritis with mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm and hypertrophy and hyperlasia. (Insert
whatever my Vet told me that I cannot remember properly. Neutrophilic was
in there, and Lymphosomethingwithsomething.)

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Conley and Cooper, the large black pointy-eared
long-haired Belgian Basset