[Dailydrool] pee and poop consumption

Marie Campbell moonlitlily1212 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 13 18:07:32 PDT 2012

 Kathy,
    Neither of these behaviors will hurt your hounds.  The poop eating may mean you will have to worm them more often or if one of them gets a contagious intestinal disease that might be bad but the habit in and of itself is not harmful.
    As for the peepee drinking, this is common behavior with intact males.  Intact males will always lap up intact females urine so they know when they will be coming in season and when the girls are in heat lapping up the urine tells them when she will be ovulating.  This is completely harmless.  In fact, hot, fresh urine is sterile until it cools.  If you are ever frozen in the Andes they tell you, you can drink your own hot urine to survive.  Anyway, enough peepee talk!
    Here are some suggestions for the two poop eaters:
#1 put canned pumpkin in their food every time they eat--one large tablespoon should do it
#2 put one large tablespoon of vanilla or plain yogurt in their food every time they eat
#3 put them both on a good pro-biotic
This may help it may not.  I cured my mom's puppy of poop eating with the yogurt.  If she ever starts it again, we just give her yogurt again and she stops.  My vet claims chronic poop eaters have trouble maintaining the healthy bacteria in their bowel and that is why they seek it out in other dog's poop.
    I am not sure how to resolve the urine issue.  It is a puzzler.  To be frank, in my 32 years of dog ownership, I have only ever seen intact males do this and I have never seen a dog drink their own urine in this manner.  I might ask my vet about it when I happened to be in there for some other issue.  But rest assured, it is not going to harm her.  Weird and unsightly yes, but harmful no.
Marie Campbell
Man Plans ~ God Laughs