[Dailydrool] diet

Susan Murray-Grage mzkrazykat at live.com
Wed Mar 14 08:27:18 PDT 2012

Good morning droolers, and extra drool to those who need it.  I subscribe to the Whole Dog Journal, which I enjoy reading, and which has lots of articles on dog food.  You can likely get it online through your library if you're not a subscriber.  In addition to the print issues, there are the emails, which include tips as well as the inevitable attempts to sell books.

Today's tip was timely, as it refers to a possible cause for poop-eating.  It is just a "tip" and so is generic, but may apply to some of the situations of the droolers.  Here it is:

"Fat has more than twice the calories per
gram of protein or carbs, so the amount you feed should be limited. Fat,
however, is also what satisfies the appetite best. A diet that is too
low in fat will leave your dog feeling hungry all the time, making it
harder for you to stick to the diet plan and potentially leading to
food-stealing or even poop-eating. It's better to feed a diet with
moderate fat and reduce the portion size as needed rather than feeding a
low-fat diet.

If you are feeding kibble or other dry food, look for a minimum of 25
percent protein. More is better: generally, the higher the protein, the
lower the carbs. There is no harm in feeding high protein diets to
puppies, seniors, or healthy adult dogs; there are only a few specific
health conditions that require protein to be limited."

For the record, our hounds get a mix of home produced raw food diet, which includes a small amount of chicken fat, and high protein, grain free kibble.  They have plenty of bad habits, but not (dog) poop eating.  (Lucy did eat poop when she first came to live with us, but no longer.)  Of course, if they ever get the chance to sneak upstairs, they go directly to cat Cher's litter box, to see what treats she has left for them.

I hope this helps!

Susan, mommy to Lucy, Charlie, Otie (always included because his brother and sister are bassets) and Cher(included due to her active role in this basset discussion)