[Dailydrool] diet

jacquelynn chazey aerogator27 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 14 17:20:58 PDT 2012

Chiming in on poop eating and diet.
First, Thank you to Angelika for posting about the Food Advisor.  Ditto to Susan regarding her post about diet tonight which is what prompted me to write of my experience.
I had long been feeding Nutro lite for all the hounds, and I free feed because with 8 here, it just works the best.  All are OK with their weight, except for big boy, Jean Paul, but as my sister says, he has a pass.  He was diagnosed with cancer last October (he is 10 1/2), and Sis is in recovery for breast cancer.  JP has had his fair share of health issues besides cancer, ie, pano until he was 4 and arthritis, so I can't push him to exercise, but I am in search for a canine swim center for him.  More on that later.
So when I checked what I was feeding on food advisor, I discovered it was rated 2 out of 5, 5 being the best.  I am in the process of doing a switch to blue buffalo healthy weight, and I have noticed some positives.  First, they don't eat as much.  I used to fill a 30 lb storage tin weekly, and now it is extended to 10 days, and they are still at a 50/50 blend.  Also, they are not eating poop or making poop as much.
I am not trying to start a food war, and even my Vet commented that he is doesn't have evidence that blue buffalo is ALL THAT.  Nevertheless, for now, this is working for me, and I will report if any changes evolve.
Side note about urine drinking, in my herd of eight, Nigel and Colette do this, and I don't know why, but they are litter mates and we got them from BYB.  They were raised with a loving family, had a lot of interaction with the family, young kids included, had the opportunity to be indoors and outdoors in their babyness.  In fact, they are probably the sweetest, in a social sense, of the herd and this is why they are going to be representative bassets for the Long Island Breakfast for Bassets on Sat, 3/17, Petco in Massapequa.  Should be a nice time.  They will be duly washed, their breath freshened, and they will represent for basset rescue with wonderful joy.

Jackie and the herd