[Dailydrool] I heart my bassets - even more after dogsitting a beagle

kacy green greenlikethecolor at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 15:11:02 PDT 2012

Disclaimer - I love all dogs and this should not be taken personal by
anyone who loves other breeds, but man, basset hounds ROCK after
dogsitting other breeds!

Beagles might be hounds, but they certainly are not basset hounds. I
know we have quite a few droolers with beagles or bagles, and I wonder
how you do it?! The one we have is driving us insane.

We are currently dog sitting my sisters' 2 dogs - a beagle named Lola
and a MinPin/Rat Terrier named Toby. They make my bassets look
well-mannered and obedient...which they're not.

Lola is a major food thief - Yesterday she stuck her snooter into a
steaming hot bowl of soup and then screamed and looked so offended
when she got burned. I doubt she learned anything from it though - in
fact I can almost guarantee she'd do it again right now if I put a
bowl of soup on the table. She also stole part of my bagel, right out
of my hand. I mean I'd be lying if I said my boys don't beg, but they
certainly don't (usually) try to steal food right out of your hand as
you are moving said piece of food to your mouth.  Grrr!

And then even worse, she's not spayed - and for no good reason other
than they "feel bad putting her through an unnecessary surgery when
Toby is fixed". So, Toby just humps her nonstop as if to tell the
bassets, "hey she's mine! back off!" But the funny thing is, the
bassets are both neutered and have honestly shown no interest in Lola
or in being an alpha leader. They're just waiting for their crazed
cousins to go back home. And Lola is kinda slutty - she seems to
instigate it by backing up to Toby and/or trying to cuddle with Rupert
in an effort to annoy Toby. Ahh drives me nuts! If I'd have known in
advance that this is what we were agreeing to, I would have got her
spayed on Monday and then just taken the heat after the fact. I swear
our living room has been R-rated all week.

So we've been crating them. When Toby won't stop humping, he gets
crated. And when Lola acts annoying or steals food, she's crated. They
both seem to be great dogs (ok, exaggeration - decent dogs) when the
other is crated; but out at the same time and it makes us want to
strangle them.

Ok, done. Thanks for letting me vent. 2 more days til its just us and
the boys again. Oh how I love my bassets!!

Drool to all,
Kacy - There isn't enough wine in the world to make me get a beagle
Cowboy - ugh, when are these varmints going home?
Rupert - I'm just gonna pout in the corner since those brats are
hogging MY mom's attention
Lola - I'm a sh*t stirrer
and Toby - I may be the smallest dog here, but I'm determined to not
be 4th in pack-order