[Dailydrool] Dogs Who Escape

Veronica Woodruff bassetgrrl at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 16 03:50:02 PDT 2012

Brenda's story of Elphaba's marathon reminds me of my Flash.  Not the distance run, but that heart-stopping, head-pounding, "I will never be the same idiot person again" feeling.

A few weeks ago, Paul came in from the workshop and said, "Did you know the mudroom door was left ajar?"  What??  No!!

And no Flash.  Wilma's on her bed, but no Flash.  In desperation I even checked the broom closet.  There's a ton of snow outside, and it's shockingly cold and it's night.  We have owls and racoons and foxes and coyotes, all of whom I ordinarily love but who have suddenly become The Enemy.  The little acre we have is heavily treed.  And I know that if we can't find Flash he will die.  Of exposure.

Really, anyone who's ever had this happen knows that sheer horror--AND IT WAS MY FAULT!!  No matter that the outside door from the mudroom has *never* been easy to shut.  IT WAS MY FAULT!!

Paul, being the sensible one, found Flash under the back porch, merely waiting.  I'm pretty sure he headed there because it's one enormous litter box for the next-door-neighbour's cats.

So Flash had a grand adventure and I had palpitations (which were remedied by a good cuppa tea).  Flash was still warm, even.  But now I have one *more* thing to be neurotic about--making *sure* the side door is closed tighter than the proverbial drum.

It was ten minutes of pure Hell.  And now I understand all of you who've had their dogs get loose.  I think we may be the people who have more grey hair than should ever be allowed.

Veronica Woodruff

(Stillwater Lake, Nova Scotia)

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."  Herm Albright