[Dailydrool] Escaping hounds

Swartz foxybear at cox.net
Sat Mar 17 10:23:52 PDT 2012

I know all to well about the heart pounding, OMdOG moments of escaped hounds. I don't think there is anything more horrifiing...I don't have 2 leggers so my bassets are my kids. Last time the boyz got out I thought that my heart was just going to explode...they were just down the street in a neighbors yard searching for all the kitties, but I didn't know which would take me first a stroke or a heart attack. It was my fault because I had been working in the flower beds and left the gate open...What was I thinking...well wasn't thinking.  Tuesday I had a horror moment when I took the boyz to the vet. I wasn't thinking, had done it on sunday for baths and the boyz just went to the BUV up the ramp and into the vehicle. But Monday my neighbor across the street was out...I didn't see her but the brothers did. So racing across the street they went for pets from Auntie Shirley....and there was a truck coming down the street, driver talking on cell phone. I yelled at Colt and Ruger to stop, yeah like that was going to happen...Damn hard headed, we don't hear the momma because we see Auntie Shirley hounds!!! Anyway luckily Shirley had her wits about her and yelled for the driver to stop and put her hand up in that traffic cop "stop" motion. The boyz were oblivious to it all and just ran to Shirley for a pet and off to the cat food. I had thrown my purse at the BUV and streaked across the street, sheepishly thanking the young lady for stopping and apologizing. Hey it was my fault for letting the boyz out in the front yard without leashes...I know better!!! Granted she shouldn't have been on the phone and driving but even if that was not the case the way the vehicles were in my driveway vs. the direction she was coming from she probably would not have seen them or would have seen them and hit one of them or it would have been a much closer call than it was. I had looked down the street for on coming traffic,looked for squirrels and cats in the vicinity, didn't see any before letting the boyz out, but hadn't looked for Shirley to be outside...she is usually at work that time of day.  So I have reinstated the "no dogs out the front door with out a leash" rule.  Like I said it was my own stupidity, lapse of judgement that almost got my boyz hurt. I wanted to beat myself even asked shirley to do it for me. She grabbed my hand and smaked it saying "bad momma, don't ever do that again"  Anyway the boyz were quickly leashed and escorted back to the BUV and helped up the ramp & taken to the vet for a weight check and Rugers allergies.

Momma to the Bad A** Basset Brothers who don't hear the momma yelling for them when:
Squirrels, cats, or Aunties are involved in any scenario.
Colt "Aunt Shirley!, ohhh gotta go love on Auntie Shirley...whooo Charlie the cat has food in his bowl"
Ruger "OOOHH Auntie Shirley, I coming to see you....Colt do you hear someone despertly screaming our names?"
Colt "Auntie Shirley!!!!, Cat food!!!"

Women are Angels...And when someone breaks their wings..They simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...They are flexible like that...