[Dailydrool] Epilepsy

Marilyn Briggs marbriggs at att.net
Sun Mar 18 13:00:40 PDT 2012

I had a basset black lab mix named Bruno with epilepsy. It was treated very sucessfully for about 3 years with Phenobarbital, which was not expensive at all. It will probably depend on the level of the seizures, but Bruno could have really bad ones, and they were pretty much totally gone with the medication.

We lived by a junior high school, and I only had a bungee on my gate, not a padlock like I have now. Some kids left him out and he "followed them home". They called me about 6 hours later (he did have a tag with his address and phone number and was chipped) because he was having seizures. He had apparently walked about 3 miles and played with their dog all afternoon. He had uncontrollable seizures for 3 days that just kept getting worse, and we had to let him go.
My boys were quite young at the time, and it was hard to watch him have the seizures and get up and walk right into the wall, hard. Now, with a lot more dog knowledge, I probably would have given him awhile more to pull out of it.

We did have another basset that he played with, and he played with the kids--so I am not sure what happened at that house to set off the seizures. Tell your niece to find another vet--quickly.

Marilyn Briggs