[Dailydrool] Glaucoma/Eye Surgery

BETHAHANNA at aol.com BETHAHANNA at aol.com
Wed Mar 21 12:18:40 PDT 2012

I mostly lurk but now must ask for the wisdom of all who have been through
eye removal surgery with their basset because of glaucoma.  My girl is
Sophie and she is 12 years old.  In the past year she has had her spleen
removed (tumor benign), been diagnosed with anemia (which we treated) and has
had pneumonia.  Her left eye is to the point that the medications are not
doing their job, and the pressure level is in the 40's as of this morning.
Her ophthalmologist is recommending eye removal.  I have scheduled her in
with her regular vet for blood work and a chest x-ray to see if all is in order
 before scheduling anything.  Am I missing anything?  I am considering  a
prosthesis.  Has anyone had one put in?  Would you do it  again.  Any
problems with them?  All thoughts and recommendations  would be appreciated.  Her
age and history this past year are very worrying  to me.  Thank you in
advance for responding.

Beth Hanna
Mom to Sophie, Dora, and Abbey