[Dailydrool] Eye removal/prosthesis

Brenda Weddle bweddlern at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 22 06:11:39 PDT 2012

We havenot had any dogs with glaucoma, but we do have a 3 year old mixed breed (some of you may remember Trooper, the honorary Basset) who had to have his right eye and right ear removed due to infection from a gunshot wound (he was near death when we rescued him). We rarely notice it any more and he certainly doesn't. He does not have a prosthesis, just his eyelids sewn shut on the affected eye. The only benefit from a prosthesis would be that what is a sunken socket would look like a permanently closed eye. Unless I am mistaken (and someone please correct me if I am) the eye is sewn shut over the prosthesis. It is not like in humans where the eye is open. I hope this helps.

Brenda, Trooper (doing very well,thank you!) and the rest of the Thundering Herd