[Dailydrool] Glaucoma/eye surgery

Sally Russell sally at slokr.com
Thu Mar 22 06:22:39 PDT 2012

Our Browser, had glaucoma and his opthamology vet put a needle in his eye
to kill the cells which make fluid so that his pressure would remain low.
 Of course, he was then blind.  It took five minutes under light anesthesia
, preserved the eye and he has never had any problems with either eye
since.  He was five at the time and now he is eight.

Pixel, after a bout with pancreatitis, developed glaucoma in one eye and
the same procedure was used.  Her other eye, has been fine so far and
pressure controlled with eyedrops.  Her blind eye is also fine in
appearance.  The procedure is called cryotherapy,

I would certainly ask your vet opth. about doing this rather than removing
the eye.  Much easier on the dog for sure.

Sally Russell