[Dailydrool] Miss Angela on tornado warnings.

bjenk1 at cox.net bjenk1 at cox.net
Tue May 1 13:04:32 PDT 2012

Bill here, press agent/personal trainer to Miss Angela Basset,
Droop and Drool Diva of Wichita and Sedgwick Count

Miss Angela has directed me to share our tornado preparedness
rituals.  Keep in mind that she is an old nine and comfort seeking.
I am a young 68 and have lived here in tornado alley my whole life
except for my army years in the trenches in Oklahoma.

When the sirens go off, Angela raises up her head and glares at
no one in particular.  I go off to get the flashlight and put it by our
couch and chair.  Then I fix a double scotch.  Maybe a mini-rawhide
for Angie.  We turn on the local weather channel.  We know that the
bedroom in the basement is made up and windowless so it's safe.

We continue watching television, Angela sleeping with a faint and
dainty snore.  Occasionally I go outside to look at the clouds and
discuss the trajectories with my neighbors who are also outside.
Then we go back in.  I fix a double scotch.  Angela goes back to
sleep.  We continue this ritual until the storm watch is expired, the
radar shows that the worst has passed us, or the electricity goes
out.  If the latter happens, I go outside to check the clouds again.
Then I fix another double scotch.  If it seems sufficiently worrisome,
I put the car in the garage, grab the flashlight, the scotch and some
ice and take Angie and her bed downstairs.  Hopefully the weather
radio is handy somewhere.

In my adult life, I have not gone to the basement or storm cellar and
I have never been closer than 1 1/2 miles to storms on the ground.
Back in '91, I was standing on my front porch in a tuxedo (I had just
stood up with a friend at his wedding) when the top of a tree in my
front yard came off and blew up the street , then down the street, then
back up the street.  Apparently the storm went over at treetop level,
though I didn't hear the "freight train" sound.  It touched down about
six blocks away and took out a Quick Trip, a liquor store and three
or so car lots.  It was bourbon that day.

Anyway, I know some people feel much better if they are huddled
in a basement, closet or hallway,  Or even a bathtub.  Angela and
I aren't quite so cautious.  So far, so good.

Bill (branches to pick up in the yard)
Angela (some new smells to check out)