[Dailydrool] Picky eater

dpmcquade at verizon.net dpmcquade at verizon.net
Thu May 3 09:44:11 PDT 2012

Anita:
Recently, our Jane became a picky eater, as you may have noticed by my previous note to the Drool. I didn't much worry because it was spring, and Jane always refuses her food in the spring. But eventually it became so bad that I took her to the vet. Lots of tests later, we discovered that she had some funny things going on, one of which was early-stage kidney disease.

I'm not saying your Holly has that kind of problem, but discovering that brought us to a new food solution. I am now cooking for Jane--probably more than I cook for myself and Drew. Jane loves it. No more arguments about food. No problem getting her to finish hers before Dex gets through his bowl of kibble. She loves it.

So if you get  to the point where the little princess is not eating, you don't have to give up. Spend your time slaving over a hot stove, and she will scarf it right up. Just make sure you've checked out the diet with a vet who really knows what makes for dog health.

I'm crazy. I have to be crazy. I'm cooking for a dog! But Jane is looking better than she has in a long while, and even her arthritis has improved. When we see the nutritionist in a little over a week, I'm hoping she will fine-tune the diet to help Jane put on some weight, but so far the mealtime arguments are at an end (as if I would ever have won a food argument with a basset!).

I may have eggs for dinner because I don't feel like cooking, but Jane has her pork, veggies, and oatmeal thickener with enough water to make a sauce. It smells so good, it even appeals to me.

Anything to keep our first hound healthy and happy.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets