[Dailydrool] overweight dogs

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Fri May 11 08:53:16 PDT 2012

Hi all, it's the clueless momPerson,

Wen (and Pam) you are so right.  Years ago I lost my Sugar Magnolia (sweet
Maggie) to bone cancer.  She was the worlds sweetest dog ... was here when both
my babies came, used to sleep under the crib and would bump and rock it when the
babies started to wake up to put them back to sleep.  She was my angel.  I lost
her at 10 to bone cancer and the day the doctor put her down she said to me that
she had never had to put a dog down for bone cancer that wasn't at least 10 lbs
overweight.  Maggie was overweight.  I don't even want to discuss how she
suffered those last few months before we had to let her go and the pain meds and
the times we found her "stuck" outside because she couldn't hop back in the dog
door and it was late fall and cold at night and ohhhhhhhh the guilt.  I SWORE I
would never EVER have another dog overweight .... at least that could be her
legacy, I'll NEVER go through that again.  I sweat every single pound on my
dogs.

My Cyrus just got diagnosed the arthritus of the lumbar spine with a partial
herniated disc and the doctors say they think he'll be fine on rimydal
(carprophen) 1x daily for now .... will be upped eventually and perhaps as the
years go by they may use other drugs in combination (he is 8 now).    He's
trotting along on leash and playing with LuLu and Snoopy in the yard and you'd
never even know he has an issue.  If he was overweight we'd have a whole other
story here.

Trust me it is much easier to endure the momPerson how could you looks when they
want your food and you give them a baby carrot instead than to endure what I
went through with Maggie ... right up to the very end and yes I held her as she
went on to the bridge.

Pam and Wen are right ... keep the weight off the dog and everybody will be
happier.

I may be clueless but this I know.

--Dale