[Dailydrool] Hemangiosarcoma in dogs

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 1 16:23:35 PDT 2012

Several droolers have written recently of hemangiosarcoma. This is a cancer of the lining of the blood vessels. Hemangiosarcoma can occur either internally (on the spleen or liver or heart most commonly) or on the skin. When it occurs internally, the prognosis is not good. Our drool family has lost a number of beloved dogs to this illness. I think this is the type that Nathan has. We are sending sweet Hawaiian drool his way for a wonderful and loving remainder of his days. When the hemangiosarcoma occurs on the skin, it is often completely curable if the lesion is removed early with clean margins. This second manifestation of hemangiosarcoma (on the skin) may be due to sun exposure...or not. But the two types have enormously different cure rates. I think Snoopy and Sister Daisy have had the second type. Our Bo (CICPBF) had the skin type of hemangiosarcoma about two years ago and has been cancer-free since the removal of the lesion. In the second type,
 the hemangiosarcoma often resembles a black mole or a red mole with black edges. So if you see one of these on your hound, by all means have it removed. Lumps are so hard to distinguish. Seems like in bassets mosts are cysts or lipomas (fatty tumors) or keloids (scar tissue gone crazy) but some are cancerous and need removal. My two boys are somewhat lumpy and have had all four different kinds of lumps. Val