[Dailydrool] Dog speak

KR1204 at aol.com KR1204 at aol.com
Tue Oct 9 15:38:34 PDT 2012

Oh boy! One of my favorite topics. Over the years various bassets knew
various words depending on their  IQ. The current gang knows to come in  from
the yard if I rap three times on the sliding door (if they can hear me over
their barking.) Or if I call out Supper (if they can hear me over the
barking.)  or I yell TREAT (if they can hear me over the barking) and my favorite
is "DUCK"  for the special duck jerky they get but again if they can hear me
etc. Jordan  knows "crate" but after three years does not have a clue about
"OFF!"  meaning me as she tries to climb up my leg. "Back in the house"
gets everyone  out of the laundry room mostly. "Give it up" allows me to pry
contraband out of  basset mouths. Sandi's all purpose "Hey" usually gets the
attention of a basset  contemplating the counter or kitchen table and they
sheepishly wander over to  see what I want. The one command I wish I could get
them to understand is "MOVE"  meaning let me through! Every where I go,
they are with me but when I need to go  from one room to another, usually
Crackers is about 3 inches in front of me and  sloooooowwwllllly ambles no matter
what which is why most phone calls end up on  my voice mail because I
cannot get around him.
On the plus side they no longer react to my doorbell because it is the same
 as the Orkin and Papa Johns commercials and after a few hundred times of
me  saying TV as they all headed for the door, they don't even lift their
heads now  even if it is really my bell!  But when I sign off the internet and
the AOL  voice says "Goodbye" pandemonium reigns so I mostly keep the
speakers turned  off!
Kathy with Crackers, the slow, Loki the nitwit and Jordan the clinger.