[Dailydrool] My Maggie Mae's Calendar Day!

CANDY DUSEK lovebassets at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 15 09:08:15 PDT 2012

Today is my Maggie Mae's calendar day.  I can't believe my little senior diva is almost 13 years old!  Here is her story, which I always like to share on her calendar day.

In December of 2000, I was mourning my first-ever Basset hound named Beatrice, when my veterinarian's wife called to tell me there was a basset hound at the Humane Society here in town.  So, I went out there to meet this skinny, hip-swaying, dirty sweetheart of a little girl.  I was so undecided if I wanted another basset so soon, but after leaving there I couldn't get her out of my mind.  I recalled a sermon from the previous Sunday where our pastor had told us to pray specifically.  So, even though I started praying "Lord, if it is meant to be, please keep her free for adoption . . ", I changed my prayer and asked the Lord for a specific sign if I was meant to have her.  The next day I was driving to work and I came upon a car with a bumper sticker that I had never seen before.  It said, "Need a friend?  Adopt a pet from the Souris Valley Humane Society!"   I immediately recalled my prayer and took this as my sign from the Lord that this was meant to be.

Twelve years later, I am so glad I went back to get this little sassy girl of mine.  She has been my velcro dog and my heart dog.  She rules our house with an iron paw, and she fills my heart with joy.