[Dailydrool] A few words from the Hubert's slave

kristin.mielke at videotron.ca kristin.mielke at videotron.ca
Sun Oct 21 07:55:39 PDT 2012

So glad Nigel is on his way to recovery.  BTW for anyone who has not had stones,,,they hurt.  The kind of hurt where you are pretty sure you are going to die, and hoping it will end soon.  I have many painful experiences, including being hit by a car...and the kidney stones were number 1 so far on the pain meter.  Here's hoping Nigel feels allot better soon and has some very strong pain drugs.  Hubert is drooling up a storm on his behalf.
To everyone else who is suffering: hang in there...life is full of challenges, but things generally do get better with time.  Special snooters to anyone who has lost someone recently furry or human.
Thank you to everyone who wrote in about Hubert's nocturnal adventures.  After 3 nights of putting some of your ideas into practice I feel a report is in order.
1) Hubert has been getting plenty exercise...I took him running with me twice...never in my wildest dreams did I think a Basset would enjoy running.  He kept excellent pace with the Wienemier my friend runs with and loved the whole 5 K.  This did not stop him from climbing the kitchen counter or playing with his squeeky rabbit for over 2 hours when we got home.  For those of you who run..34.33 for 5 K with Basset. Used the extenda for the run and Hubert was always in front of us, I thought for sure I would wind up walking, or calling DH for basset pick up ...but nope the little bugger loves to run. Did he sleep that night.....??? NO

I have tried gating him in our bathroom with toys and his bed...Hubert thought it was a blast to climb in the bathtub and jump arround.  Climbing the toilet was also great fun.  He fell asleep arround 4 Am...in the bathtub. I did not sleep.
I put him in his casa downstairs..this resulted  in an upturned cage at 2AM...he was under the tray yelling bloody hell.  I did not sleep..and had a hard time getting him out of the crate.

Finally yesterday night he slept...in bed with me...with his head on the pillow..on his back with all 4 paws in the air.  He can have the left side of the bed and his own pillow.  Fortunately he does not snore.  I also fed him again at 11 pm yesterday night.  Maybe it was the food...maybe he will sleep if his tummy is full.  We will see if he sleeps again tonight.
I love him...but he is a holy terror.  At the moment he is amusing himself by throwing his toy dragon up in the air and catching it.  This has been going on for the last 15 minutes.
I have never had such an active dog..let alone Basset.  Perhaps Hubert is a Border Collie trapped in a Basset body.
I am going try and find him a high energy dog to play with.  Hopefully this will help.
Kris ( I need a nap)
Hubert  (Play...I want to play...can we go to the park,,,can we, can we...come on lets go Mom)