[Dailydrool] The Daisy dilemma

Sally King sallyemking at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Oct 22 02:21:54 PDT 2012

AS Clara has told you, we have a little house guest right now. She came out of an area so bad even the police won't go there.
She is scrawny thin, may well have had a litter and has the most appalling tooth rot. Despite that, I think she is probably only about a year old.
You will not be surprised to learn she has no training and is not housebroken. Even though she is not staying with us (really Snoopy, she's not), I have of course tried to install basic principals. She seems bright. She has already learned her name and 'sit'. But the housetraining is the most confusing I have ever dealt with.
I take her out for walks with Rolph and Clara. We will be out for maybe two hours. She will not pee or poop at all, so I can't praise her, but as soon as she comes into the house, she pees. She has only pooped once in the house and that was the first night, but the peeing?
Of course, I make a big deal of Rolph or Clara when they 'go' outside so she sees them being praised (they are a bit surprised, but always happy for a treat) and when she pees in the house, she seems to know it is wrong, because when I try to grab her to put her out she runs and hides - in fact, if she pees and I haven't seen it happen, I know because she runs away when she sees me.
She is a dear, sweet, gentle soul. She has a family waiting to take her on, despite her leakage problems.
Has anyone any suggestions about how best to encourage her to pee outside?
This morning I left her at the vet to get her teeth sorted. A little drool would be welcomed.
A slightly frazzled Sally, with Rolph, Clara and the delightful Daisy, UK