[Dailydrool] The Daisy dilemma

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 22 08:31:55 PDT 2012

It's the clueless momPerson here and I do know something about this, I really
do.  Too many horrible situations ..... let's not go there but I'll tell you
what I've learned (through my mom and also personally) and others can chime in

It has been my experience with unloved dogs that they don't want to go to the
bathroom, period.  They have been subjected to living in filth and often
(usually) their conditions are tiny such that if (when) they go to the bathroom
they will then have to live with the stench and the wetness and the nastiness
for a LONG time.  Thus, they hold it just as long as they possibly can.  This is
VERY different from a house dog which learns to relieve itself frequently so
that it won't get into a situation where it is inside and has to go and the
option to go right then isn't available.  These unloved dogs are often fearful
to go potty in front of you because they've been abused for going to the
bathroom, and have no idea why.  And they wonj't go on walks because they don't
want to mark in what is not yet their territory, in their mind that too will
bring on abuse.  I just went through this with Gracie.  Within a week she was
doing "ok" and now, 2 months later, she is fairly reliable ..... no mistakes at
all for about 10 days now and counting.

So I believe that's the why.  Now, I have never met a dog I couldn't get past
this with.  How???

Well, first and foremost there has to be other dogs which do this correctly.  I
take everyone out and praise the ones who relieve themselves on turnout in a big
way.  Of course the dog in question won't go when they do, and will in fact be
frightened, even hide.  Then I give all the dogs cookies for turning out.
Eventually .... especially if you spend enough time outside, you will turn and
see the dog in question hiding behind a bush or a rock peeing.  I then make a
HUGE deal out of that.  I make sure ALL the dogs get a treat if the one I'm
working with goes.  This creates peer pressure.  The other two will herd her
outside if I say it's time for turn out.  They'll encourage her because they
want that cookie.  As for the mistakes .... if I catch her in the act I'll grab
her collar and run outside holding her collar (with her attached of course)
shouting "no, no, no we do that outside."  And once we reach the grass out back
I'll tell her "good girl" even if she'd already completely emptied herself on
the floor inside.  She gets the idea that going outside when you have to pee is
inevidable.

It takes time, patience, "natures miracle", a carpet shampooer, vinegar and
water and lots of towels but they can all learn dignity through love and
tolerance is what I've found.

Good luck Sally (and everyone else who saves a desparate adult dog and gives
them a new life as a beloved pet).