[Dailydrool] The Daisy dilemma

dpmcquade at verizon.net dpmcquade at verizon.net
Mon Oct 22 13:27:59 PDT 2012

Sally:
Gettting a dog to pee outside can be a real challenge, especially a very nervous hound. Just ask our current foster, Josie.

Josie is seven. She and her "sister" came into rescue when her people had financial troubles. The sister was adopted out right away, and Josie became very nervous from the moment they were separated. When we went to pick her up at a transporter's home, she hid in the bushes.

Here, she has been slowly losing her fear. We've had her two weeks, and in that time we've discovered that she does not like to go out and pee with another dog, especially our bossy Holly. But she's been improving and has even gotten to the point where she will let me know that she needs to go out. If I keep her out after letting the other dogs in, she will ease up and do her business outside. And she's been known to go while out with our very submissive Dexter.

Of course now that she's just getting settled here, it looks as if she will soon be adopted. Her new folks will have to be gentle and patient with her, but I think in the end they will find her worth it, since she's the sweetest hound.

We also once had a young foster whom I could take on very long walks. I came back wiped out, but she would hold the pee until we got home and do her business as soon as we walked in the door. A couple of weeks after she was adopted, she was fully housetrained. I think it's a security thing. Unless a dog has a physical ailment that causes the problem, I believe as Dale does that you will eventually be successful. Just be very patient and do not yell at her or punish her in any way for accidents. Just clean them up silently. When she finally does it outside, praise her. I also believe that praising your other dogs for doing the right thing will help. It certainly worked with Josie.

Time and patience are what you need. The rest will happen.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets and plenty of fosters