[Dailydrool] The Curtain Falls

Richard Schmeltz richard_schmeltz at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 26 17:08:15 PDT 2012

Some of you may remember my writing about Bullet (not Buttle) our basset who
passed in 2011. He'd had a hard life, but we did our best to make up for those
hard times while we had the chance. I sincerely believe the years he spent with
us were the best of his life. God bless you, Bullet.

I write today to mourn of the passing of his brother, Jester. True, Jester was a
border terrier, not a basset, but I don't know that we would have been able to
reach Bullet without Jester's help. In my heart, I believe it was Jester who
taught his brother to trust us. Beyond that, Jester was my best friend in the
world. For all the dear departed companions we've lost through the years,
nothing ever touched me like this.

A quote in honor of my departed friend:

"If I had it to do, again
And the evening was new, again
I would spend it with you, again
Until the curtain falls"

If you find yourself out under the stars tonight, and seek the WARMEST star in
the sky (not necessarily the brightest), know that you will have found the soul
of my best friend in his rightful place. I only hope I will prove to be a good
enough man to earn the chance to see him on the other side.

--RichS

Hubby to Patty, poppa/wrangler/slave/body pillow/security blanket to Snoopy the
beagle, and now 9 dear departed companions ATB .