[Dailydrool] dog vocabulary

LOIS LEMA lemalois at verizon.net
Mon Oct 8 09:41:04 PDT 2012

 i have always trained my dogs using the same commands for housebreaking..people laughed at me..thought i was nuts..but let me tell you, when it is raining, snowing or just plain disgusting out there is nothing sweeter than giving that command & hurrying the process along. as an added bonus, when buster went down in the rear, i could tell him the magic words & he would do his thing right on target outside.  like magic.  it made life so much easier.

mine know many words..they may not opt to "hear" them at times but they know which ones are serious & life threatneing & carry the most meaning.  it's funny too, the dogs i watch frequently learn the same commands & adhere to them even tho they are not official family.

for a stretch i watched a slew of deaf dogs & my dogs picked up the sign commands they used & followed them.  i still used verbal commands but it was cool at the park to call the deaf setters & my guys with sign language & have the whole bunch come running over, then sit & lay down..all silently.

"Creativity is intelligence having fun."  Albert Einstein