[Dailydrool] Question about cough

Esther Strom esthermstrom at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 10:29:20 PDT 2012

Barbie,

It sounds like you've had a pretty horrible year, and I'm so sorry for
that. You should obviously have your vet check everything possible, but
it's not necessarily anything bad. Basil came to me at age 8-ish, and he's
had a cough from day 1. His foster mom said he had it with her, too. It
sounds a lot like you describe - it mostly happens when he's been sleeping;
he'll all of a sudden wake up and start coughing so hard that he needs to
stand up. It happens maybe three or four times a day/night. He's been
tested for every possible cause (kennel cough, heart problems, lung
problems, allergies) and everything has come back negative. Several vets
have told me that dogs can get the same "old person" cough that humans get.
There's really no specific cause, so it can't be cured, only treated.
Basil's vet has told me that if it gets really bad he can prescribe a
cough suppressant, but since most of them contain steroids, and Basil
already has bladder-control issues, we don't want to go there unless he
seems really bothered by it. He's been with me three and a half years, and
it's never gotten better, but also never gotten any worse.

-Esther, Basil the cougher, and Waldo ATB