[Dailydrool] Reaction to a bug bite?

Rose Hughes rosekh at aol.com
Sun Sep 16 10:45:55 PDT 2012

2 weeks ago, right before I went to bed, Annie was rubbing her face against the couch, like it was itchy.  The next morning, her left upper lid, and part of the left lower lid, was swollen.  I figured it was a bug bite (I'm an optometrist, and this is what it looks like in people.)  I called the vet, and the receptionist asked for her weight, and told me I could try 2 Benadryl every 12 hrs if needed for the itching.  I did this for about 3 days, and she did seem to be more comfortable.  The swelling seemed to go down a bit, and an opthalmologist I work with said that, in humans, I spider bite can take 3-5 days to go away.  Other than the swollen lid, she is fine, and the rest of her eye is fine as well.  This past Friday, I called the vet an made an appointment for next Friday (I'm off) because the swelling didn't seem to be getting any better (although no worse, and she didn't seem bothered by it, although she doesn't like me to touch it.)  Yesterday evening I noticed her rubbing against the couch again, with her back leg twitching, so I gave her some more Benadryl, which seemed to help.  I do notice that she has lost some fur in that area of her upper lid...maybe from rubbing, maybe from an allergic reaction?  The skin underneath doesn't feel warm, and looks pretty normal (although I've never seen that skin before.)

I tried putting ice on it last night, but she wasn't thrilled.  I could possibly move up my appointment, but I keep thinking that it will go away on it's own.  Anyone have any experience with this type of thing, or know if there are any home remedies that might help with the swelling and itching?  I haven't given her Benadryl today, and she seems ok.

Thanks,
Rose, Annie and Fred