[Dailydrool] Anxiety

Jane Hay janewhay at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 07:46:16 PDT 2012

Suzy has always had to be confined when we're not here. She's incontinent
and, if the door doesn't magically open when she goes to it, well we all
know what happens.  When Ginger came to us to be fostered, we were told how
destructive she could be (and we also found that out first hand!) so we
decided she and Suzy could share Suzy's "bedroom" which is a full bathroom
off our family room. All of a sudden, Suzy started becoming anxious
and really didn't want to go into her room when we left. To make a long
story short because it took us a while to figure out what was going on, we
finally realized how food aggressive Ginger is and that she was terrorizing
Suzy over the treats that we would leave with them when we were out of the
house. We got a crate for Ginger and situated it so she and Suzy are out of
each other's line of sight and Suzy went back to her normal self once they
were seperated. When Tybee was with us, he also went into a crate but he
needed to know that other hounds were with him so I put his crate so he
could see Suzy  and Ginger and he was happy with that. We also gate the
hounds who are allowed to be loose in the house away from the confined
hounds. Even though Ginger is in her crate, she will get very aggressive
towards any other dog that comes near her crate so it's better to just keep
everyone apart when we're not here so we know everyone is safe. My point
is, take a look at what your situation is and how your hounds interact with
each other normally. If there is any tension at all, gate them away from
each other whe you're not home and consider keeping them out of each
other's line of sight if you have anyone who is aggressive. I think we all
need nanny cams just to watch what our hounds do when we're out of the
house. We might be pretty surprised how the dynamics change when you have a
pack with an aggressive or dominant hound or two in it and what goes on
when you aren't there to supervise.

It's official! WMBR won this round in the Shelter Challenge! Every rescue
is in dire need of funds and I believe that the DD is a tremendous force in
helping our chosen rescues win. Keep in the habit of going to the website
every day by still going here:
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces;jsessionid=7BDAC102976548114CBC724D4B8F5165.xc-c?siteId=3&link=ctg_ars_home_from_ars_shelterchallengeresults_leftnav_logo
and
click on the purple button to help donate food for a dog. I have the site
on my computer desktop so it's easy for me to just go and vote and click on
the purple button before I do anything else. This is just so much fun to
help our rescues be successful in the competition! Now I'm anxious for the
next one to begin!

Heart healing and get well drool is being slung to all in need.

Jane & the Houndettes
Jersey, Shadow, Suzy & Ginger