[Dailydrool] Grass seeds

Sally King sallyemking at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Sep 21 09:06:48 PDT 2012

Once again, Rolph is languishing in a Cone of Shame, or Cone of applied Love if you prefer. This time, because a grass seed worked its way into his paw, sealing its entry point and causing a lump, which had to be surgically excised..

This is the third time this year the vet has had to remove a grass seed from his paws. Although the other two didn't need surgery, they did need a course of antibiotics. Another basset lover has told me sometimes these seeds can work their way up the legs and cause all sorts of problems.

So, my questions are these. How can I stop him picking up grass seeds?
Why has he had them this year and never before?
Why has he had them and Clara, who goes to the same places, hasn't?
Could his long coat in any way be responsible?

Sally, with cone-head Rolph and Clara, UK