[Dailydrool] Talking Hounds

Swartz foxybear at cox.net
Fri Apr 5 12:07:22 PDT 2013

Shaking my head and giggling on this thread. I love the drool, one post
makes you cry, the next post makes you mad as a honey badger and the
next one has you rolling on the floor laughing like a hyena.  Better
than TV the drool is.  I digress. Talking, yes the Bad A$$ Basset
brothers talk.  Especially when the second human gets home from work or
one of the parental units comes home from being gone for a day or so.
Ruger is the big load vocal hound.  Colt is the more animated of the
two.  Usually I am the first home from work, so the boyz greet me at the
door and then trot to the back door to be let out. Not a peep out of
them, Until I try to do something before feeding them and then Ruger
lets me know his displeasure and reminds me of my slave duties.  Very
loudly! So loud at times that Auntie Val who lives next door, will text
me "will you feed that dog! LOL" (Auntie Val takes care of the boyz when
the momma is away so she knows their antics) When the DH comes home, he
is met with joyful whimpers and barks, Ruger starts telling him about
his day and how momma was late with the food bowel and yada, yada,
yada...or should I say barka, barka, barka.  Colt is doing his
psychedelic rhino dance, and rhino charges through the house, with a
joyful bark.  "Yeah, all of my pack is home, all of us together, YEAH"
Now the funny thing about this is, it doesn't matter which of us is the
first or second one home.  The procedure is always the same.  Second one
home gets Ruger barking and Colt dancing and charging through the house.
Also, Ruger will whine when he is sitting away from me and all of a
sudden he decides that he wants my attention. He gives you this tilt of
the head and makes his eyes huge (like Puss n' Boots from Shrek) Once
you acknowledge him with a "What Ruger" He then bolts into your lap for
pets and attention. Colt is more subtle, he just climbs into your lap
like the big rhinoceros he is and noses the ipad, book, or magazine out
of his way and then drives the side of his head into your chest as if to
say "my momma, my time, love me now!" Colt then he wallows you like you
are a mud hole, groans and basset purrs.  Ruger will also talk to anyone
that comes into the house through the front door (but not the back).
Joyfully barking at them "Hi my name is Ruger, this is my brother, Colt.
Did you come to pet us and rub our bellies? YADA, YADA" The boyz don't
talk all of the time...but they have their moments.   They don't bark to
go outside.  Colt sits in the living room/kitchen doorway and just gives
you "the let me out look". It is a look that screams at you...like
someone else said it is a look that will go through walls...or at least
books or magazines.  Ruger will just go to the back door and will sit
and wait patiently until someone opens the door.  Why can he wait
patiently for potty time, but is not patient about his dinner time?  He
doesn't make a fuss about breakfast either...just supper.  Ruger is the
silent quiet type most of the time...but when he does decide to talk, it
is more like I am Basset hear me roar.  But his bark is somewhere
between a basset and a beagles, kind of piercing to the ears at times.
Colts has the deeper basset bark that can rattle your skull.  They are
so funny and the never fail to make me smile.
Happy TGIF!
Michele momma to the Bad A$$ Basset Brothers
Colt the furry love rhinoceros
Ruger the demanding beagle in a basset suit.