[Dailydrool] Happy Birthday Delilah Belle

njmedic702 at aol.com njmedic702 at aol.com
Sun Apr 7 15:36:55 PDT 2013

Today is our Delilah Belle Fairy Princess's birthday.  Back 2006, Daisy Belle Wild Child was still a rambunctious buppy, running a silly Basset 500, chewing on everything she could get her wicked little shark teeth into and already beginning a lifelong career in counter-surfing.  We decided she was more than two humans could handle and what she really needed was a friend.  So, we approached Tri-State and were directed to a woman who needed to re-home one of her Bassets secondary to pet restrictions in their new home.  Like us, when they acquired three hounds, they lived in a home with acreage and a doggie door but a job transfer took them to another state where,despite searching for a place which would accommodate ALL their hounds, all they found which met their needs had a pet quota.

I called and spoke with Delilah's former mom and learned that she was having huge difficulty making the difficult decision of which hound to re-home.  Having been in her position since I empathize with her heartbreak at that task.  She told us about Delilah; (who was called Lola then) how much their children adored her, her "crookedy"front leg and sweet disposition and we came to the conclusion she would be a good fit for us.  I met her and Suzanne Fitch in a grassy area near a hotel not far from our home and introduced her to Daisy Belle on neutral ground.  After Delilah scolded her for being an exuberant buppy ( she still gets "mouthy" when meeting new canine friends) they made their peace with each other.  So, we signed the necessary paperwork and loaded the "Belles" into the BUV and headed home.

It took "Lilah," our pet name for her, a week to begin to do more than merely pick at her food and finally give in to Daisy's constant requests to play, but when she finally realized that she was in her new forever home, she and Daisy became fast friends and wonderful playmates.  They ran and ran and played and wrestled.  Delilah was the best thing to happen to Daisy, helping to socialize the little puppy mill buppy who had been removed from her MamaDog far too young.

Our pretty girl still has her sweet disposition, adores all kids and most dogs but remains shy around strangers, especially men.  We don't know what that is about.  She is our lumpy, bumpy girl; probably has about a half dozen fatty cysts in various places but is still a beauty with her long, silky ears even if she does occasionally fancy eating poop. She's a trooper about her thrice daily eye drops for glaucoma and the fact that she is most likely nearly blind in her left eye doesn't seem to bother her a bit.

HAPPY 8th birthday, Lila-Bilah!  Your Mama and Dadslave love you to the moon and back! We look forward to sharing our home with you and your senior brudder, Dozer, for many, many more years! To celebrate you'll share some of the Chicken Francaise which is on tonights menu, eat the last steer trachea chewy and get first dibs on snuggling with Mama on the couch.

Snooter kisses and ear scritches pretty gurl...
Mama and Dadslave