[Dailydrool] Talking bassets

Meckler, Michael meckler.12 at osu.edu
Sun Apr 7 09:26:02 PDT 2013

My guy is relatively quiet. He occasionally barks, but he does whine a great deal, and makes rather expressive groans and grunts. He has bayed only once, when he treed two raccoons in the backyard. I was so surprised by the sound I ran outside immediately because I thought he had been injured. Little did I know I had a short-legged coonhound!

The whining can get quite loud, and once I was on the phone with a stranger who asked about the noise. I told her it was the dog, and she asked, "Is he okay?" I said, "Yes, he's okay." She then asked, "Are you sure he's okay?" I then had to tell her he was sitting in front of me upset that I had the temerity to answer the telephone when I could have been paying attention to him.

I have only the single dog, but I have been told by others who have had multiple bassets that when you get a pack, the individuals tend to bark more, not only to let each other know where they stand, but also because they join in on group singing at least once a day.