[Dailydrool] Talking Bassets

kacy green greenlikethecolor at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 10:30:02 PDT 2013

Okay, so you want your basset to howl, do ya? Be careful what you wish for.
:) Haha, no just kidding, we love it, but seriously. When Cowboy came to us
at 4 months of age our friends would howl at him in an effort to teach him
to howl. Now the kid is almost 7 and he howls like a maniac on a regular
basis. Cowboy howls on his walks when he sees another dog or human that he
can't get to, then he howls out of pure excitement once he gets to them. He
howls at the dog park for each new dog that enters, and he howls at home,
for each person who enters - even if I only stepped out to take out the
trash. Cowboy howls for meals, howls for attention, and howls just to hear
himself howl. I swear the dog has no boundaries. But of course we love it,
and so do most people who meet him.

(He also has a variety of other sounds, including barks, whines, grumbles
and moans. The whining is the worst because he does it between 3AM and
5:30AM and it's very nasaly. So while faint, it wakes you out of a dead
sleep and usually means he wants to be petted back to sleep. This morning
it was 20 minutes before my alarm was supposed to go off. {Grr!} So
needless to say, I was up early.)

Rupert is more of a barker, although he also has his assortment of moans
and groans. He does howl about one time a day on approximately 4 days of
the week. It's usually after dinner and Cowboy generally starts it with one
of his loud AHROOOOOOOOOOs. Then Rupert follows with a very apprehensive,
uncertain ahrooo. Then Cow howls again and then Ru tries again. This goes
one for anywhere from 30 seconds to 5 minutes. It's seriously as if Cow is
giving Rupert howling lessons. Eventually Rupert's howl fades off and he
begins barking incessantly. Then I shut them both up with a treat or dual
bellyrubs.

Never a dull moment living with these guys!

Drool and howls to all,
Kacy with Cowboy and Rupert