[Dailydrool] Fwd: drool and insight about splenectomy requested

Esther Strom esthermstrom at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 12:58:17 PDT 2013

I'm a few days behind, so you may have already gotten the answers you need.

My Basil was a rescue; he needed an emergency spleenectomy about 6 months
after I adopted him. He was about 8 at the time (we think).

Assuming the surgery goes well, expect about a week of rest. Our vet wanted
Basil to be crated to prevent activity, but he got so upset in the crate
that I ended up just confining him to the bedroom. He was so tired that I
didn't really have to worry about him being overly active. He was on
painkillers and antibiotics for about a week after the surgery. He never
seemed to be in any pain after we discontinued the meds.

One thing we did find was that Basil did not want to eat while at the
hospital, which meant they had to continue IV antibiotics for longer than
planned (because he wouldn't take anything orally.) We tried everything,
even McDonald's, and he just refused. They told me after 3 days of this
that I could take a chance and take him home and see if he'd eat there, and
if there was a problem I could bring him back. As soon as we walked into
the house, Basil was looking for his food bowl, and ate right away. So just
be aware that some dogs will not eat while at the vet's. You'll also want
to feed very small meals for a few days, as the heavy-duty antibiotics and
painkillers can cause nausea. Once we got past that, there were never any
problems. This was three years ago. Basil has slowed down since, but it's
normal aging, not related to the surgery in any way.

Good luck.

-Esther, Basil, and Waldo ATB